Why on earth would somebody use fake pictures in an online dating profile?
The truth is that there are many reasons why somebody would. Although not exhaustive, let’s have a look at some of the reasons why people do:
1. They are trying to scam people in some way.
2. They are undertaking some sort of bizarre social experiment.
3. They are a journalist or blog are looking for material to write on the topic.
4. They are bored and having a laugh.
5. They have emotional issues and are getting something out of winding people up.
6. They are trying to mine personal details from their fake account in order to stalk someone they have targeted.
So as you can see, there are rarely any good reasons for somebody to have a fake account.
Bizarrely, some people have a genuine dating account that contains fake pics. The twisted logic behind this is usually that they feel they can come across such a nice person when you meet that you will somehow forgive them for looking absolutely nothing like the photos.
Obviously this is completely twisted logic and points in many cases to that person having significant emotional issues, making them highly unsuitable to forgive! when it comes to online dating spotting fake pictures could be the skill that saves you a lot of trouble.
How To Spot Fake Dating Photos
There are several ways you can take a good guess about if a members profile photo is real or fake.
1. As with most things in life, if it seems too good to be true then it probably is. It’s a horrible fact of life, but truly stunning people don’t usually have to trawl dating sites.
2. Look at the backgrounds in photos. Do they look real and current? Sometimes the backgrounds in the photos can giveaway clues as to their location and when they were taken.
3. Does the person look as if they are a model posing? Especially of its female profile, does that lady look as if she could be modelling, rather than doing a random selfie in her mirror?
4. Look carefully at the image to see if it seems doctored or trimmed in some way. Photoshop is an amazing graphics tool that has revolutionized
online visuals, but unfortunately it is also made it very easy for people to make fake dating photos.
Top Tips For Checking If A Dating Profile Belongs To A Real Person
There are a couple of tricks you can use to find out if the dating profile you are interacting with belongs to a real person.
Firstly, look at their account as a whole:
- Is their username realistic?
- How much effort has been put into their profile?
- Are their photos too good to be true?
When viewed as a whole, your gut feeling will usually tell you if you think the profile belongs to fake an.
A surefire way to find out if an online dating fake profile is what you are interacting with, is to ask for more photos. If you have been communicating over a few messages, and you both seem to be getting on, then offer them a photo of yourself unsolicited. Say you are curious to see another one of them, if they are happy with that.
A real person who is genuinely interested in you will usually be more than happy to send you another photo. But if they are fake, you are putting them under pressure.
They may not have any backup photos, leaving them grasping for its uses. Or if they do have photos, these will be the ones they think are less genuine looking and therefore ones they held back.
The person in that profile photo IS real. That is the truth. But they are usually not the person you are messaging!